Monday, October 4, 2010

Arabian Spinach... and then Kraft Mac and Cheese...

Ok, so this blog is not only about my triumphs in the kitchen, but also about my failures. Nick and I have been trying to keep to a schedule of one vegetarian meal a week, because of the price of meat in California (it's not atrocious, it's just higher than Pennsylvania). We've had a few wins, but tonight can't be classified as such. I tried out a recipe from "Vegetarian Cooking and Vegetable Classics" called Arabian Spinach, which I figured we would both like. I will post the recipe for those of you that are interested, but I will say that it was a bit bland. If you have any ideas for additional spices or things to try, please share! I suggest bacon, or even just bacon fat for flavor.

After we each ate our bowls of spinach, we were still hungry. So I went to an old staple of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese... don't judge me. Actually, it wasn't even Kraft. It was Target's brand, but we all know it's the exact same thing. After I began boiling the pasta, I realized that our milk had gone sour. Damn. So I decided to use 2 tbs. of heavy whipping cream left over from the Asian Honey Ginger Peanuts I made the other day. The creativity doesn't stop there, because I then went crazy and added a dolup of bacon fat to go with the 2 tbs of butter in the recipe. As unhealthy as it sounds, it was ridiculously AMAZING. While I do not recommend doing this every time you find yourself returning to your college days, it is definitely worth trying once.


Arabian Spinach
Serves 4

1 onion, sliced thin
2 tablespoons olive or sunflower oil (I tried the sunflower oil since I had it on hand)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
14 oz. spinach, washed and shredded
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
15 oz. can of chick-peas (garbanzo), drained
knob of butter (I used 2 tablespoons)
salt and pepper to taste
(I also added paprika)

  1. In a large frying pan or wok, fry the onion in the oil for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cumin, then fry for another minute.
  2. Add the spinach, a bit at a time, stirring it until it begins to wilt. (It will all fit if you do it in stages, I promise.)
  3. Stir in the chick-peas, butter, and seasoning. Reheat until just bubbling and serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. I'd add a little Sriracha for some heat.
    Also, nutmeg goes well with spinach - though I'm not sure if I'd add sriracha AND nutmeg.

    ReplyDelete