Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Few Words on Scrapple


Scrapple is one of my favorite products of nose-to-tail eating.
It's also one of those truly misunderstood foods that comes out of the Pennsylvania Dutch land.
If you didn't grow up eating it, perhaps you have some reservations.
Allow me to try and open up your mind to this is spicy, porky goodness.

At its core, scrapple is a meat pudding.
Are you turning up your nose?  Don't!
Do you like meat?  Do you like pudding?  If you answered yes to both questions, what's the problem?

Scrapple is made up of the left over parts of the pig, just like hot dogs and many types of sausages.
If eating liver, heart, or offal in general offends your stomach, I find it's best not to think about it.
These parts can be DELICIOUS if they are prepared well.

Of the different brands of scrapple, Kunzler is probably my favorite, but then again it's the brand that I grew up eating in Lancaster, PA.
Out here in California, I have found plenty of Wisconsin scrapple made by Jones Dairy Farm, which I would have never expected.  Perhaps that is because I've never been to Wisconsin.
Recently I found Dietz and Watson scrapple from Philadelphia, and I swear I squealed in the store.

If you are a fan of scrapple, there is a Facebook fan page that suggests many interesting ways to enjoy it!

There are a number of different ways that you can prepare scrapple, but this is my favorite.


How to Prepare Scrapple


Cut scrapple into 3/4" slices
Lay the slices of scrapple in a cool cast iron skillet (or regular skillet if you don't have a cast iron)
Bring the skillet up to a medium heat
Once scrapple starts sizzling, brown both sides until you get a crispy crust, approximately 5-10 minutes for each side on medium heat (be careful, the scrapple tends to pop and crackle)
Ideally, you want the center of the scrapple to still be soft
Enjoy!


For some additional reading, check out the Wikipedia page for Scrapple!

Also, if you can't find prepared scrapple in your local grocery store or butcher, you can try to make it!  
Here is a recipe from Bobby Flay's FoodNation episode in Philadelphia.
I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it would be pretty solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment