Saturday, October 5, 2013

Matcha Green Tea Shortbread


I made these cookies for work the other day, and they turned out far better than I expected.  Usually when I try to bake anything other than bread, my oven spits it back out at me with fire and a vengeance.

Among the many compliments I received, one of my co-workers came up to me and claimed that my cookies make him want to be a better man.  I cannot promise that these cookies can change the world, but better to try them and find out rather than risk the world being a more sad place without them!

Warning:  These cookies contain green tea, and therefore they are caffeinated!  Enjoy with caution.


Matcha Green Tea Cookies


Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup salted butter at room temperature (You could use unsalted butter, but I prefer a saltier shortbread.  It's up to you!)
1 heaping tablespoon matcha green tea powder
1/2 cup sugar
Powdered Sugar for dusting

  1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
  2. Measure out the flour and salt into a bowl and whisk together
  3. Add the butter, matcha powder, and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer, and mix on medium-high until light, fluffy, and green
  4. Set the mixer to a low speed and gradually add the flour/salt mixture until blended, scraping down the sides as needed until the dough begins to stick to itself
  5. Separate the dough up in two balls
  6. Roll the balls into two logs, approximately 2" in diameter
  7. Wrap the logs up in the plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or until the dough is firm enough to cut
  8. Heat the oven to 325°F
  9. Take the logs out of the refrigerator and unwrap them
  10. Cut the logs into 1/4" rounds with a sharp knife and place them evenly on the baking sheets
  11. Back the cookies for about 20 minutes, or until they are dry and firm to the touch
  12. Let the cookies rest on the baking sheets for 5 minutes
  13. Dust the shortbread with the powdered sugar and carefully transfer them to cooling rack

Alternatively, you could roll the cookie dough out to a 1/4" thickness on a floured surface and cut them with cookie cutters.  This recipe could make adorable adorable spring cookies as shamrocks or leaves!  For a fall themed cookie, cut them out with a maple leaf and sprinkle the cookies with turbinado sugar.  I, unfortunately, do not own any cookie cutters due to the vengeance oven mentioned earlier...


UPDATE: I eventually made these adorable (and delicious) matcha shortbread leaves! Definitely worth the effort.


2 comments:

  1. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.
    matcha

    ReplyDelete